A historic timeline continues on Saturday here in Davis, when the UC Davis Aggies host the Sacramento State Hornets in the 57th edition of the football Causeway Classic. With stadiums separated by only 20.1 miles (thank you, Google maps), it is not a long trek for the Hornets to come to Davis for Saturday’s 4:07pm kickoff at Aggie Stadium.
UC Davis added to the rivalry already in 2010, paving the way for a continued legacy upon announcing a major change this past September within the football program. Beginning in 2012 or 2013, UC Davis football will compete in the Big Sky, a conference which has had Sacramento State as a member since 1996.
Sacramento State comes in with an overall record of 6-4, including a 5-3 mark in Big Sky Conference play. The Hornets have won three games in a row, all conference matchups. The Hornets primary offensive contributors are quarterback Jeff Fleming, running back Bryan Hillard and wide receiver tandem Chase Deadder and Morris Norrise. Peter Buck leads the Hornets with 90 tackles this season, and Zack Nash leads the Sacramento State pass rush with a team-high 13 sacks.
UC Davis comes in with an overall record of 5-5, including a 3-1 mark in Great West Conference play. The Aggies have won two games in a row, both in conference play. The Aggies offensive is led by redshirt freshman quarterback Randy Wright, running back Nick Aprile and wide receiver Sean Creadick. Defensively, Dozie Amajoyi leads UC Davis with 84 tackles. Eric Sobotka has recorded 4 sacks to lead UC Davis in that department.
Quick Stats to remember on gameday:
-UC Davis leads the all-time series 39-18
-Sacramento State has won the previous two meetings
-The weather forecast calls for a 70% chance of rain and a high of 51 degrees
-UC Davis won every season from 2000-2007
In-Depth Stats for this matchup:
- Sacramento State averages 33.7 points per game
- UC Davis averages 21.6 points per game
- Sacramento State is allowing 25.5 points per game
- UC Davis is allowing 27.9 points per game
- Sacramento State averages 394.6 yards per game
- UC Davis averages 318.2 yards per game
- Sacramento State is allowing 352.1 yards per game
- UC Davis is allowing 387.0 yards per game
- Sacramento State has attempted 2 onside kicks this season, and recovered both
- UC Davis has attempted 1 onside kick this season, and recovered it successfully
- Sacramento State's defense has recorded 25 sacks this season
- UC Davis' defense has recorded 15 sacks this season
- Sacramento State has made 12 of 13 field goal attempts this season
- UC Davis has made 12 of 15 field goal attempts this season
- Sacramento State has converted 7 of 14 on their fourth-down attempts
- UC Davis has converted 7 of 15 on their fourth-down attempts
- Sacramento State averages 10.2 yards per punt return
- UC Davis averages 2.9 yards per punt return